About Me

My photo
Adelaide, Australia
I'm Kelly, 35 years old wise! Stay at Home Mum living in Adelaide. Married to wonderful DH of 13 years, mum of two monkey's DD12 & DS9 (Special Needs = High Functioning Mild Autism). I'm currently following Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation (12wbt) to loose this weight once and for all and to be fit, healthy and happy! I love ZUMBA and a cheeky sense of humour!!! Follow my adventures!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Turn It Off!


Got the power bill the other day and it's a little bit more than we had budgeted but that was also last years budget and also I see that everyone's power bill is going up.

Anyway decided to tackle this head on and hit the net for a few ways to save a few $$$.

Firstly have made sure that we have turned off anything at the WALL not just having things on stand by.  It's probably not a lot but it's all the little things that add up and make the difference.  However I am not told to STOP turning off the kettle because that has a mechanical switch so no power will actual be generated until you turn it off.  Also hubby was getting annoyed that he was waiting for kettle for boil in the morning for his wake up Coffee and wondering why after 5 minutes still no noise.... tee hee

Turned off the oven at the wall cause also the clock and grinding noise it makes it just so irritating but not the microwave as that's our clock and also I read that it doesn't take much power anyway.

I pulled out two globes from our three armed light's in the lounge room and it hasn't seemed to make too much difference especially as we don't seem to 'live' in there.

I also bought these press button lights mostly for night time finding of things as going from a dark room to turning on a light can be blinding at the best of time.

The other thing is because we are with TRU Energy we get a discount % if we pay our bill before the due date so at my regular bill paying time I set up auto payment for that to happen.  I also gave them a quick call today because A Current Affair said you can bundle them for discount and when I called they said no they have since changed that policy and are offering more discounts on prepayments now so that's ok.

SAVINGS = $12.99 for paying it early.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm yep some things to think about - cant turn my oven off as oven is direct wired into wall an think that's law - need to look into if power board draws power as I can turn that off but not at the wall as unable to get to that switch. I know our library has a kit that you can hire that has a power measure thing so reckon I might borrow that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks K, I just went onto my library site and found this - Contents: 1 Power-Mate lite -- 1 infrared thermometer -- 1 room thermometer -- 1 stop watch -- 1 compass -- 1 instruction guide -- Home energy toolkit -- 1 DIY energy audit guide - DIY energy audit action plan worksheets.
    So I put a hold on for it and will see what it's like should have it by the weekend!

    ReplyDelete